Forums/OMN PC Forum/Questions and Answers

Answered

Which upgrade is right for me?

ed marriage
asked this on April 27, 2012 13:07

Comments

User photo
Colin

I already plan multi-day routes. I have a hand-held GPS device.  I already use 3D and split-screen facilities. I can already change the scale or zoom level at which I print my maps.  All with Anquet 6.0.

So why do I want to pay extra to upgrade?  Print on A3? I think not.

Give us some better reasons.

April 28, 2012 17:08
User photo
Ray Hill

I don't get it? Anquet 6.0 may be a bit clunky but it gets the job done. The upgrade should be priced to attract buyers. How about £15, not £50!

April 28, 2012 18:15
User photo
ed marriage
Anquet

Hi Ray

Thanks for your comments.

V06 certainly still does get the job done. It’s a group test-winning product with many many thousands of happy customers. I wouldn’t describe it as clunky but I am biased of course!  But you’re right, it is certainly still very capable – a very good product that’s stood the test of time extremely well.

But technology moves on of course. We built Anquet v06 six or seven years ago way before Windows 7 and 8, Android or iPhone, before broadband was common place, before cloud computing, before the App stores. And, before computers and phones were capable of handling graphics in the way they do now.  It’s been an 18-24 month investment from us and with the OMN family we believe we have designed and built some great new products, from the ground up, which make the best use of the new technologies that simply didn’t exist when we built v06.

At £30 or £50 we hope the upgrade paths represent good value because they give customers the option of using their existing map  libraries in these brand new products. If, say you have £200 or £300 worth of OS maps, which you’ve been using for 4 or 5 years in Anquet v06, £30 or £50 to be able to use those same maps in the very latest tech, perhaps for another 4 or 5 years represents very good value we hope.

April 28, 2012 20:55
User photo
ed marriage
Anquet

Hi Colin

Thanks for your comments.

You raise a good point. We don’t spell out the reasons why someone might want to part with their hard earned money to upgrade from Anquet v06 to OMN in the above post. The post is more about explaining the upgrade options for those that have decided to upgrade.

But, in very brief terms, here are the key reasons why someone might want to upgrade from Anquet v06 to OMN for PC:

• A completely new ribbon-style interface
  • Anquet Cloud lets you store maps and user data (routes, waypoints) and synchronise them across all your PC’s and other devices. With OMN for Android and iPhone soon to launch, the benefits of this will become more apparent soon.
  • New graphics and route drawing tech which means maps scroll faster and routes draw more quickly.

• Smooth zoom to any level, so that you can adjust the zoom gradually to any level rather than to pre-set levels

• New 3D tech which makes for faster and smoother 3D mapping

• New GPS tech which makes the connectivity between OMN and your device easier than before
  • And A3 printing as you say

The best bet is to give OMN a whirl for yourself and see how you like it. If you prefer it and think you might want to make use of your pre-2012 v06 maps in OMN the above post explains a few ways you can do it.

Anyway, hope this helps and thanks for your feedback.

April 28, 2012 20:59
User photo
Colin Cadden

Another confused long-term Anquet user here...

The way I'm reading this is that if I want to use OMN for Android, I need to pay £10 for the App, then £50 for the Early Bird Pro Upgrade (which includes the converter). However, the maps I convert will still be the old v06 data, yet the Android App can access new data? Or is it still the old data? And where does it get this data? If it is from "the Cloud" then the map data I currently have needs to be uploaded to the Anquet servers. That's going to be a pretty major upload given I have the whole UK at 1:50k plus various 1:25k sections and some historical mapping.

Furthermore, if I want up-to-date mapping plus OMN, plus the Android App, I'm looking at something in the region of £150. Sorry, but for that reason, I'm out. The competition for Anquet has moved on in the intervening years and both 1:50k and 1:25k mapping is much more widely/freely available. 

April 30, 2012 17:46
User photo
Geoffrey Fowler

I agree with previous posts - not good value in my mind.  Maybe in a few years time but for the present, v06 aint broke yet and I therefore have no desire to fix it.

April 30, 2012 18:42
User photo
ed marriage
Anquet

Hi Colin (Cadden)

To put your mind at rest, it’s not going cost you anywhere close to £150 for you to use your pre 2012 maps in OMN for Android and there’s no uploading to be done.

Here’s a note to hopefully clarify…

Any new maps (2012 and beyond) work in OMN for Android and OMN for PC. So if you trade in your old maps and get new ones, you won’t need anything else. When you trade in your old maps, you get a 50% discount off the new ones. So for instance a 1:50,000 map of Wales would be £15 / 2 = £7.50 and you can use that map in OMN for PC and in OMN for Android. (There are other examples above).

If you have some pre 2012 v06 maps as downloads and you would like to use them  just in OMN for Android, all you need is the v06 Android Map Reader Plug-in (not available yet, £10 TBC) and the app itself. It doesn’t matter how many maps you have – it’s a flat one off fee.

If your maps are on disk, it’s a bit more complicated because currently the only way to get the maps onto your Android phone is by downloading them directly from Anquet Cloud. To do this, you’ll need the v06 PC Map Reader Plug-in. This lets you use your maps in OMN for PC and converts your disks to downloads. There’s no upload involved. You put the disk in and it reads the licence code and puts the data on your account as a download.   The cost of the v06 PC Map Reader is £30. Again it doesn’t matter how many maps you have – it’s a flat one off fee.

So to sum up…

50% discount off of new maps and you can use them in OMN for PC and OMN for Android

£10 (TBC) lets you use your pre 2012 maps downloads in OMN for Android (v06 Android Map Reader Plug-in)

£30 lets you use your pre 2012 maps in OMN for PC and converts your disks into downloads and puts them in Anquet Cloud (v06 PC Map Reader Plug-in)

Finally the v06 Early Bird Pro Upgrade includes the v06 Android Map Reader Plug-in, v06 PC Map Reader Plug-in and the Pro OMN for PC for £50.

With regard to the general cost of OS map, we like everyone else are bound by OS licences and their royalty charges. The specific licences we provision your maps under allow for maps to be used offline (i.e. kept locally on your device) so that you can use them without a data connection which is of course vital if you want to go anywhere (other than a coffee shop). There is no other legal way of having your OS maps stored on your device.

Hope the above helps.

May 01, 2012 08:17
User photo
ed marriage
Anquet

Hi Geoffrey

I certainly agree, v06 isn’t broken. As I said in the post above, it’s a group-test winning product.  But that’s not to say that OMN is no improvement and technology has moved on a great deal in 6 or 7 years since v06.

If you’re the type of person that will want to make use of the extra platforms that the OMN family of products bring or use Anquet Cloud to store and sync user data, or want faster maps, etc, etc … then the upgrades are going to be good value for you.

If, on the other hand, v06 does everything you need it to do for now then you can carry on using it secure in the knowledge that any maps you go on to buy will automatically work in OMN too. So, if a little way down the road, you decide that you want to use OMN, the maps you may have bought in the intervening period will be compatible and you won’t need to upgrade them.

It’s really down to personal choice. The upgrades are good value for those who are ready to make the switch. If you’re happy with v06 you can carry on with it knowing that we’ll support it and knowing that the maps you buy will work in OMN too.

May 01, 2012 08:42
User photo
David Jack

I'm still confused! I bought the £50 upgrade. I have a pre 2012 Great Britain North DvD. Do I have to pay more money (the so called trade-in) for the maps I already have or does the £50 package do all of that for me? If I have to pay extra for these new maps can I get a refund of the £50 because I totally misunderstood the package description.

May 04, 2012 23:11
User photo
ed marriage
Anquet

@ David Jack

To put your mind at rest, no you don't need to pay more money. The £50 Early Bird Upgrade is all you need. Trading in your old maps for new ones is an alternative to the Early Bird Upgrade.

May 04, 2012 23:48
User photo
Kev

I have the OMN free and have downloaded 1:25,000 maps, but don't get any height information on route profiles. Does this need Pro version? It is not stated clearly in your notes above.

August 28, 2012 11:16
User photo
Bill from Anquet
Anquet Community

Start Map Manager and on the My Maps tab look for the entry for 'Anquet Essential Great Britain'.
Make sure this is entirely downloaded as it contains the Detailed Gazetteer, Height Data and GB Overview map for the whole country.

August 28, 2012 13:58
User photo
Kev

Thanks - that works fine.

You might make this clear in your help files.

August 28, 2012 15:49